Edited Sep 02 2023: Vy pointed out the response should be “so what” rather than “then what”. I agree this is more accurate and have updated the article accordingly.
Today I came across a Youtube video called “The miracle of not giving a fuck”, in which JV, the author of the video, covers the topic in a humorous but enlighting way about how to not let other people’s judgment affect us in negative ways. I am not sure whether this is an original idea. Still, his point is that the response we should give to any negative statement towards us is “So what?”. I think this can even apply to our thoughts, such as self doubts or self reflections.
I’m writing this down to remind myself to apply this phrase in my life. Here are a few examples:
- I’m afraid people might not like my writing. So what? The targeted audience is me, and I am okay with my writings.
- Yuna prefers Vy to me. So what? She still likes me and I can still play and pet her.
- I’m not good enough compared to others. So what? Everyone’s at different stages in their journey of life. Comparison is the thief of joy.
- I’m stressed. So what? What is my source of stress, and can I do something about it? If I can do nothing, no point in stressing about it. If I can do something, I will start at the basic step.
- My body is sore. So what? I should listen to how my body reacts and take it easy for the day.
- I’m sad. So what? Is it because of something or someone? If something, so what? If someone, so what? Etc.
Vy has been feeling stressful about work today, so I shared this with her, hoping it will cheer her up. She seemed to like it. It’s easier said than done for the things I mentioned above, but with practice we can do it. I know we can, just like how we are able to run a half marathon now.